Pillaging in the Omnibus Spending Bill
Man, Republican Senators have loaded this spending bill with some egregious environmental riders. They want to:
- "exempt large livestock and dairy farms from some environmental laws;"
- "provide billions of dollars for Army Corps of Engineers water projects...to avoid the "hang-ups" over policy issues that prevented them from passing earlier;"
- "authorize a land exchange to allow oil drilling on what is now part of the Yukon Flats National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska;"
- "lift a wilderness designation from Georgia's Cumberland Island, opening the largest undeveloped island on the East Coast to commercial development;"
- "allow commercial fish hatcheries and stocking in protected wilderness areas, national parks and wildlife areas in Alaska;"
- "exclude grazing permit renewals in national forests from the need for environmental reviews;"
- "exempt "biological processes" at agriculture operations from requirements of the Superfund law and the Emergency Planning Community Right to Know Act...to protect large dairy and livestock businesses from lawsuits now in the courts that could require them to publicly report emissions of toxic air pollutants such as ammonia and hydrogen sulfide from their manure pits."
The Republicans are literally favoring shit over the American people. Is this what a "mandate" means?